Bring in the Clowns!

Francis the Clown, watercolor on 12 x 9 cold press by June Nash

Last week I was working on clowns. I took a photo of my friend, changed his coloring, added a bow tie and a red nose to remake him into a clown. The first painting was a failure. There were many things I liked about it, but the more I painted the worse it got. I’m pretty happy with this one. I might still tweak it a bit. But it is 99% there! And I have a redo of the failed one in the works. If it turns out I’ll post it!

Barns was the theme for our Zoom with June paint along

“Michigan Barns”, Watercolor on 9″x12″ 40 lbs paper by June Nash

On the 27th of May we painted together, remotely. If I haven’t mentioned this earlier, this is something I have been doing since the start of the year. Joining my friends from the Lakeside Palette Club of St Clair Shores. We call it ‘Zoom with June’, that’s me! The pandemic required us to do things differently. It got us more comfortable with other ways of socialization. Many artists, myself included, enjoy painting in our ‘at home’ studios. We have all of our supplies easily within reach. Being alone in the studio has some drawbacks. No feedback is one of them. The ‘Zoom’ art studio has a lot of benefits. We are able to give each other tips and feedback. We have a schedule, so we make sure we are actually in the studio producing pieces of art. We also come up with a theme, which often gets me to step out of my old ideas of what I should paint.

Painting barns is not something I would have thought to paint. I am not naturally a landscape artist. But I love trying new things, so I was up for the challenge. When I was up north on vacation I stopped by the side of the road, taking pictures of various barns I saw. I liked these barns. I didn’t expect much, but was pleasantly surprised with the results! The original didn’t have a fence, but I used my artistic license and put it in there anyway.

I didn’t win, but one of my paintings sold!

Edsel and Eleanor, watercolor on 12 x 9 hot press 140 lb paper.

After an enjoyable day of painting, I was invited to join other artists, and guests, at the Ford House reception. The party was supposed to be in the Rose Garden, but moved to a tent due to the threat of rain. It was very nice, though I think the Garden would have been fantastic! The Ford staff worked to bring artists together with potential buyers. They introduced me to a lovely lady, named Elizabeth. She was interested in buying my art. My painting of ‘Trees on the Shore’ caught her interest first. Then I showed her my second painting and she changed her mind. As a collector of art, she finds joy in sharing her finds with others. She plans on presenting ‘Edsel and Eleanor’ to some lucky recipient, as a gift.

When painting these works, I start out covering the page with various colors, overlapping them and letting them bleed into each other. I then start applying paint, to bring the subjects to life, using the background colors as a guide. I had fun painting this and I hope it gives joy to the person who gets the pleasure of hanging it on their wall.

Elizabeth Mays, proud owner of ‘Edsel and Eleanor’ by June Nash

Paint Out at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House

Trees by the Shore, watercolor on 5 x 7 hot press paper.

I spent the day at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House painting en plein aire. This is a juried show. The Reception is tonight. I painted two pieces in watercolor. The first, above, is of two trees on the shore of Lake St Clair. It was morning, and fishermen were out in their boats. My second piece was of the statue of Edsel and Eleanor. I painted it to look like they came alive.

Edsel and Eleanor, watercolor on 9 x 12 140 lb paper
Statue of Edsel and Eleanor on the Ford House grounds.

It was a very enjoyable day! Wish me luck!

Honorable Mention received

Humming Birds, by June Nash
11”x16” on Arches 140lb hot press.

I painted this watercolor in January. This was at the start of my zoom, in-home, studio gatherings. We wanted to paint hummingbirds. It took me a while to complete. First I painted the two birds, but they were just two birds on a page. So I painted a vine to help join them together. I joined a watercolor mentors page on Facebook and received a lot of great ideas on how to make this painting look finished. Everyone said that the background flower in the center was too dark. I needed to lighten it up, but I just couldn’t get it to look right. Finally I painted over that one flower with white acrylic paint, which allowed me to redo it in a lighter shade of watercolor. All of my hard work paid off, because I received an honorable mention at the spring show. I am really happy with how the painting turned out, and thrilled to have received this recognition!